More Immigration dramas – daughter’s determination defies  Diwali delays 

We were tied up at Boat Lagoon Marina, had hired a car and were all set to pick up our daughter at Phuket Airport the following day. 
Then we received the call – due to an administrative error, her work permit had not been ratified and when she tried to go through Immigration at Delhi Airport she was not allowed to leave India. 

Yacht Haven Marina

Such a strange coincidence as the same thing had happened to us a few weeks earlier when we stopped from leaving Thailand because we had not paid the required bond before leaving our boat in Phuket. 

Two rabbits eating dinner near the restaurant where we were eating! Earlier we had seen a pair of sea otters waddle passed us. They then proceeded to dive into the drainage ditch and judging by their squeaking and stashing, had a wonderful time!

As it was the Hindu festival of Diwali, everything was closed including all the Immigration offices. Twenty-four, then forty eight hours came and went and all our determined daughter’s useful contacts (including the Vice-President of an Indian Airline who pulled out all the stops he could) combined had failed to get her out of the country with the guarantee that she would be able to return. 

By Monday afternoon we had given up hope and had taken the car back, checked out of the marina and anchored outside. Then we got the message, she had been to her local immigration office which had opened with a skeleton staff despite it still being the Diwali holiday. She been told that the staff there were not senior enough to stamp her visa and was just about to leave when the big boss popped in for just a few minutes. He heard her plight, stamped her visa and she was on the flight that night. Her determination paid dividends!

There were great celebrations when she arrived – only four days late and an extra airfare but she was in Phuket!

As her stay with us was truncated we sailed straight away for our first anchorage at the northern end of Phang Nga Bay – Koh Daeng Yai .

Lovely views wherever we looked
This a tranquil anchorage which we had to ourselves and very much enjoyed the early morning there with the sun reflecting on the many coloured craggy cliffs. 

Morning view
Morning view the other direction – the mist made it even more stunning

We took the dinghy over to an island we had been to previously and which was bisected by a cave open each end. It was here that we had previously scrambled up ladders and paths to discover a huge cathedral-like cave. 

The cave that bisects the island
Hello Thailand!

As she is a fellow cave lover, we took our daughter there in the afternoon when the tide and the sun were low. 

Stairway to heaven?
It was much harder to take the dinghy in at low tide and we ended up rounding the end of the island and coming in the other way. 

Intrepid daughter on the way back from the top of the cave
As it was late we decided to come back the next day for a closer look. 

After another visit to the marvellous cave we set off for Koh Roi, a pretty island which we had visited previously,  and explored the large and attractive hong. 

Inside the hong walking towards the low slung entrance
The hong was certainly worth a second visit and we met an interesting young Frenchman who lived in Wales and who had paddled to the hong on a kayak from Koh Yao Yai. 

More celebrations on the beach at Koh Roi
As the tide was out we could walk further into the wilder part of the hong than we had on our previous visit. We saw a massive colony of large fruit bats hanging in the trees. 

Bali Hai anchored at Koh Roi

When we returned to the boat the weather started to deteriorate and we decided to move to the less exposed anchorage between Koh Kudu and Koh Kudu Yai.  

Leaving pretty Koh Roi

We were glad we did as the wind blew up and the rain hammered down for a couple of hours but by that time we were well settled and enjoying a glass of wine. 

Our anchorage ahead – between the two islands

Published by

Salty tales from Bali Hai

In 2015, after a break from cruising of almost 30 years, my husband and I sailed off into the sunset - this time to the wonderful Islands of Indonesia and beyond. Three years passed and we swapped sails for wheels driving through Scandinavia and Europe in a motor home. Now we are on the brink of another adventure - buying a Lagoon 420 Catamaran in Athens. This is our story.

2 thoughts on “More Immigration dramas – daughter’s determination defies  Diwali delays ”

  1. What an adventure! Soooo glad I made it in the end. Thanks for all your patience and of course support with the many tearful phone calls! 😀 love you guys so much, what a wonderful holiday it was xxxxxx


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s