A girls day out before two flights and a noisy night 

We had an unexpected free day in Belitung to do whatever we wanted as the previous day we had turned back from sailing to the Kumai River due to adverse weather and decided to fly there instead. 

Someone was delighted to have an extra day in Belitung

With the position and the strength of the wind and a short time frame, we decided that sailing to Belitung wasn’t the best option. 

The main town beach

So the girls headed to town (Tanjang Pandan) to find a hairdressers and if possible, somewhere to have a massage too although we didn’t hold out much hope for the latter as Belitung is decidedly not a fully fledged tourist destination. 

Massages as well as hairdos here.

The first place we stopped at told us to come back in an hour’s time so we went and had a coffee. When we returned to the shop it was open but still no hairdresser to be seen, let alone a masseur. 

So we kept going and after some while found a hairdressers that looked professionally run and had hairdressers available (Novi hair salon ph: +62 81932993377)

Three satisfied customers and the staff at Novi’s

Much to our surprise there was also a masseur available who gave our daughter a massage while Yantara’s First Mate and I had our hair done. We then received a divine head, shoulder and back massage in the chair – all for a very modest sum!

The following day we set off for the airport with plenty of time in hand for our flight to Jakarta where we were to change planes to fly to Pangkalan Bunn. There we would meet up with our friends from Sydney, Australia, to take a three day tour up river to see Orangutans in the wild. 

Waiting, waiting, waiting ……

We need not have arrived in such good time as the plane was delayed and we ended up waiting for almost four hours before boarding. There was no coffee shop or any kind of store in the airport lounge and became more and more crowded and extremely hot. So it was a long wait. 

The room was getting hotter….

Our next flight was early the next morning and because of our late arrival we decided to stay the night in the transit hotel in the airport – a big mistake as it turned out!
After a reasonable meal at the Chinese restaurant (the best of a very few choices) in the domestic terminal building, we went to bed in good time as we had an early start the next morning. We hadn’t been asleep long when the sound of Jack hammers woke us up. The noise sounded as though it came from the room directly over ours (although we later found out they were underneath our room). 

At the Jakarta Airport Hotel

After several attempts by phone to suggest politely that the use of jack hammers, drills and other power tools was not really on when people had paid a lot of money on the expectation they could actually sleep in those comfy beds, Bali Hai’s skipper stormed down to reception and requested the immediate cessation of building work. It took another trip to the reception desk and a trip to where the jack hammers were being used (directly underneath us) before work stopped. 
The website for the hotel says “Jakarta Airport Hotel is that one stop solution for Domestic and International travellers looking for comfort, convenience, and a peaceful rest and recuperation.” In our case that certainly wasn’t true!

Somewhat bleary eyed we caught our early morning plane to Pangkalan Bunn (the airport that serves Kumai) which fortunately was on time. 

Our plane
The airport at Pankalanbun (note the Dayak influence in the roofline)

Once we had settled in our hotel (the Grand Kepubung) which had clean, comfortable rooms with nice bathrooms and a good pool, we headed out to explore the town and do a little shopping. 

Comfy beds at the hotel (Jill behave yourself that’s my husband you’re in bed with)
The hotel had a large pool
Exploring the town

The following day our friends Jackie and Lucky arrived from Australia. It was great to catch up after a long time and we enjoyed a meal at a local warung and some drinks kindly supplied by Jackie and Lucky!

A great reunion

Published by

Salty tales from Bali Hai

In 2015, after a break from cruising of almost 30 years, my husband and I sailed off into the sunset - this time to the wonderful Islands of Indonesia and beyond. Three years passed and we swapped sails for wheels driving through Scandinavia and Europe in a motor home. Now we are on the brink of another adventure - buying a Lagoon 420 Catamaran in Athens. This is our story.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s