Last stop before crossing to Indonesia 

In company with Yantara, we set off on the last leg of our trip down the Malaysian Coast before crossing the Singapore Strait to get to Indonesia. 

Motoring past Malacca with Yantara

It was rough going out of Admiral Marina, Port Dickson – with 20 knots of wind “on the nose” and a big swell. Fortunately the swell was coming across the side of the boat so  although it was uncomfortable we weren’t slamming down off waves. 

After a while the sea settled and we had an easy trip to Pulau Besar where we stayed the night. 

The jetty at Pulau Besar

Pulau Besar is rather a mysterious island- a place of pilgrimage for Muslims of Indian ethnicity who have been discouraged, even prevented from worshipping there. An absolutely massive resort was built on the island in the 1990s – with power brought in from the mainland on a series of poles – only to be closed and left empty in all its glory. Very strange indeed. 

The lines bringing in power to Pulau Besar

Sun sets on Pulau Besar

Despite its checkered past we spent a very comfortable night there and rose early to sail to Pulau Pisang. 

Sailing away from Pulau Besar

The sea was completely calm with no swell, unlike the previous day. 
That night we slept under the loom of Pulau Pisang light house which we were intrigued to learn had been handed over to Singapore during the 19th century in perpetuity. The road leading up to the lighthouse and the land it sits on is, to this day, regarded as a little piece of Singapore. The lighthouse is still manned and maintained by the Singaporeans. 

Pulau Pisang

Yantara at anchor Pulau Pisang

Another beautiful sunset

The last part of the trip to Puteri Marina, our final stop in Malaysia took us through the Singapore Stait. 

Our first sight of Indonesia of to starboard

According to Google during 2008 130,000 ships used the Singapore Strait. Nine years on and It’s probably quite a few more. Suffice to say we had to keep our eyes peeled constantly and watch the AIS on our chart plotter like hawks to make sure we didn’t get in the way of any of the huge metal monsters. 

These ships are massive when you get near them!

Yantara was a couple of miles in front of us and were caught in a ferocious thunder storm which brought visibility down to just a few metres. 

They had to withstand torrential rain and nerve wracking claps of thunder cracking at the same time as forked lightening while trying to negotiate their way through the sizable fleets of massive (thankfully mostly anchored) container ships appearing out of the gloom. 

Thank goodness for AIS – you can see where the ships are even when the visibility is poor

We could see the storm ahead of us and felt extremely fortunate that we fell a little behind that day!
We could see the storm raging ahead

Safe and sound in Puteri Marina

Published by

Salty tales from Bali Hai

In 2015, after a break from cruising of almost 30 years, my husband and I sailed off into the sunset - this time to the wonderful Islands of Indonesia and beyond. Three years passed and we swapped sails for wheels driving through Scandinavia and Europe in a motor home. Now we are on the brink of another adventure - buying a Lagoon 420 Catamaran in Athens. This is our story.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s